Preserving the Church of the Patriots
For a limited time this fall, docents will be on site to share stories behind some of our most celebrated “permanent residents.” Space is limited so reserve your spot today.
The churchyard is open for self-guided tours daily from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm (weather permitting). Walk around the churchyard and read the text panels that tell personal stories about many of the people buried here.
Sharing Our Stories
Church historian and member Ronn Shaffer died in March 2019. Ronn spent countless hours researching the names and developing the stories of the people buried here. We thank him for his extraordinary service and hope to continue his legacy.
On July 8, 1776, William Hurry rang the State House bell for an hour…summoning hundreds of curious to hear the Declaration of Independence publicly read for the first time.
Jared Ingersoll was a delegate from Pennsylvania to the Continental Congress. He is one of seven Presbyterians who signed the U. S. Constitution.
Made aide to Gov. William Franklin while serving as a Lt. Col. in N.J. Militia, Charles Pettit became New Jersey’s first Secretary of State.
In-Ho Oh’s memory remains a timeless instruction…to turn sorrow into Christian purpose. And that’s exactly the path his Korean parents followed…halfway around the world.
Paper money in early America has the distinction of being the first authorized paper money issued by any government in the Western world.
Around 1799, Daniel and Susanna McKaraher built the tavern which we know today as The Twisted Tail on 2nd Street. They are both buried in the Old Pine churchyard.
In Memory of Ronn Shaffer
Known to many for the countless hours he spent researching more than 4,000 bodies buried at the Old Pine graveyard, Ronn was a historian, a one-man band and a real gentleman. We have lost a good friend.
Sculpture of George Duffield
In 2015, sculptor Roger Wing carved a statue of George Duffield out of a tree trunk. Duffield served Old Pine as minister during the Revolutionary War.
Ode to Ormandy
Tucked away at Old Pine is an iron fence enclosed memorial to world famous maestro Eugene Ormandy. Every May 15th, we commemorate the Ormandy’s wedding anniversary by placing twelve red roses on their gravestone.