Old Pine Conservancy is a 501(c)(3) organization registered in Pennsylvania as a non-profit charitable corporation. Old Pine Conservancy actively seeks funding from foundations and government resources as well as individuals and private historical organizations as part of its long- and short-term planning.
- Support the preservation and protection of the graveyard
- Maintain and preserve the church building envelope
- Conserve the historic artifacts associated with Old Pine
- Develop educational tours and materials about the graveyard and the building’s architecture
- Compile stories about people buried in the graveyard, and, in many cases document their lives and the circumstances of their deaths
Funding for Old Pine Conservancy’s preservation projects primarily comes from modest unsolicited private contributions, occasional donations from tourists and others enjoying tours led by a member of Old Pine Conservancy and the Adopt a Revolutionary War Soldier program.
At its founding, the Friends of Old Pine were almost exclusively not members of the church and were solely interested in the stewardship of the 1768 building, its churchyard, and protection of the remains of nearly 4000 people buried in the Graveyard. That was and is The Friends’—now the Conservancy’s—mission.
In 1951 the Friends immediately began to raise funds. By 1955 their efforts managed to stabilize the structure and provide much needed improvements. In addition, it bought land and several houses on 5th Street from the City of Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority. It also bought a house on Pine Street for the church manse. By 1977, the Friends had inspired and partnered with other entities to develop the properties adjacent to the church and graveyard to accomplish their vision of preserving and protecting these historic cultural assets at a time when Society Hill was undergoing a massive urban renewal program.
Over time the graveyard slowly evolved into a great community open space asset, one consistent with the vision of City planners during the city’s urban renaissance in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s.
Volunteer members of The Conservancy diligently research, document and develop biographical sketches for hundreds of people buried in the graveyard or associated with church membership. All the known church “people” records have been laboriously transcribed, alphabetized and digitized. The implications for genealogists are enormous.